Increasing Livestock Productivity to Improve Household Food Security
The Feed the Future Livestock Production for Improved Nutrition (LPIN) activity is a five-year project to impact rural household nutrition in Bangladesh. The activity aims to increase livestock productivity through increased access to better livestock management techniques, animal healthcare services, and hygienic, diverse, and high-quality food to enhance the nutrition and health status of rural households, especially among women and children.
- Increased livestock productivity through increased access to better livestock management techniques and primary animal healthcare services
- Improved access of rural households to hygienic, diverse, and high-quality food to enhance nutrition and health status, especially among women and children
- Improved nutrition-related behaviors of rural households
Activities and Approaches
- Enhancing market actors’ capacity to provide livestock farmers in LPIN areas with high-quality inputs and livestock extension services (embedded and standalone) on breeding and rearing practices, artificial insemination, and hygienic milk collection, preservation, and processing
- Supporting both input and output market actors to develop innovative business models that increase sourcing and selling of livestock products to foster income growth for participating households and increase consumption of milk and meat
- Improving nutritional status of women and children through a Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) campaign that triggers nutrition behavior change
Anticipated Project Results
As of September 2020, the project has achieved the following results:
- Training for 170,640 farmers, resulting in 233 percent higher milk production, 188 percent higher meat yields, and 145 percent higher income from livestock.
- Capacity building and training for 1,085 LSPs, including 153,985 cattle vaccinations, 1,834 animal health campaigns, and collaboration with 75,429 farmers.
- Development of eight partnerships, catalyzing $1.25 million in investments.
Project Specialist: Jason Hillis, firstname.lastname@example.org
Access the project brochure, published June 2021
Private Sector Partners of the Feed the Future Bangladesh Livestock Production for Improved Nutrition Activity
Access the Private Sector Partners list, published June 2021
Stories of Change from the Feed the Future Bangladesh Livestock Production for Improved Nutrition Activity
Access “Stories of Change,” published June 2021