ACDI/VOCA Begins Search for New President and CEO
With the announced departure of the CEO, ACDI/VOCA’s Board of Directors is searching for an inspiring, thoughtful, growth-oriented leader to be the next President & CEO.
The President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is the primary representative and spokesperson for the organization, responsible for helping to advance the interests of ACDI/VOCA among a range of stakeholders, and ensuring the financial viability of the organization. Key accountabilities for the role include, but are not limited to:
- Engaging with stakeholders and partners in the international development community, from the U.S. and other governments to multilaterals to commercial entities and other potential funders of complementary programs.
- Developing new revenue streams, managing change, and envisioning and implementing new business models.
- Developing and continuing to foster a collaborative relationship with the board grounded in mutual respect and accountability.
- With the support of the Board, creating the vision, setting the strategy, and positioning the organization for growth.
- Building on, leading and ensuring the effectiveness of the senior management team to best effect and helping to promote and integrate best practices across the organization.
- Ensuring the organizational culture of ACDI/VOCA and the “tone from the top” are reflective of a productive, respectful, innovative, client-focused, effective and efficient organization.
- Master’s degree in International Development or related area or equivalent combination of Bachelor’s degree and work experience in the relevant area required
- Demonstrated success in a leadership position within a similarly-sized or larger, geographically dispersed organization
- Credible experience in international development or in an organization focused on the developing world
- Experience adding additional sources of revenue to an organization
- Strong communication and presentation skills that are applicable at all levels
Personal characteristics of the ideal candidate would include:
- Impeccable personal integrity and an appreciation for transparency
- A strong desire to manage, lead, mentor, and develop talent
- A balance of confidence, humility, self-awareness, and empathy
- An anticipatory customer service approach and an apparent desire to help an organization succeed
- The ability to see and navigate the merits and pitfalls of both traditional management hierarchies and matrixed organizations
- A management and communications style that ensures consistent messaging throughout the organization
- Open-mindedness, a forward-looking approach, and an appreciation for creativity and innovation, all balanced with a high degree of practicality
To lead the organization effectively, the successful candidate will also bring tangible examples of:
- Prior experience as a leader or senior-level manager and track record of effective, thoughtful people and relationship management
- Comfort being the public face of the organization and ensuring the prominence of an organization in its sector
- Leadership in expanding and diversifying business development/revenue growth/funding
- Bringing and managing positive change to an organization while continuously evaluating and balancing the alignment of mission, value proposition, business model and market needs
- An understanding of diversity and cultural sensitivity
- A bias for action balanced with the ability and tendency to delegate and empower
- Strong administrative, organizational, and oversight skills and abilities
- Experience leading in a not-for-profit setting
- Communicating with all relevant audiences, including membership, board, media, industry partners, staff, etc., and speak and write publicly as an authority on relevant subject matter
Interested parties should submit in electronic format a resume and letter of motivation to:
Partner, International Development Practice Head
Odgers Berndtson US
O: +1 202 536-5168